No Chocolate (or Ribbons) in This Stocking

Update: The good folks at Pet360 Media have shared this handy widget, which demonstrates the amount of chocolate that is toxic to dogs:

My pets have performed the typical holiday antics, as in most households.

Yeah, yeah, the fully decorated Christmas tree that falls to the ground with a kitten in the middle (safe, pretending he’s an ornament); missing guinea pig found chewing on the Christmas light wires and managing to darken only the middle of the tree (not safe, but Juanita was absolutely fine — no electric shock); and Bitsy, that obese coonhound, parading in front of my veterinary hospital with a foreign object hanging from her rectum.

I had wondered what happened to that bag of turkey innards. No giblet gravy that year. In all my 20-plus years of practicing veterinary medicine, I never saw another dog ingest the whole bag of turkey parts and pass it without a moment of gastrointestinal upset. Yes, Bitsy had an ironclad stomach, and the eating disorder to prove it.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs

Wally tries not to be tempted by the chocolate.

What is a true danger to your pet this season and how can you avoid it? Far and away, the most emergency calls I get this time of year (and Easter and Halloween) are questions about chocolate ingestion.

Chocolate can be very toxic to your dog (and cat), but the amount and the type of chocolate is critical in assessing whether or not you have to panic.

Here are some golden rules to place on your refrigerator while you’re waiting for your vet to call back. With this information, maybe you don’t have to panic at all.

Golden Rule #1

ASPCA Animal Poison Control CenterWith any poisoning or toxicity question, know your pet’s approximate weight and the best guess as to how much of the toxin your pet may have ingested.

If you ever have to make a call to animal poison control, 1 (888) 426-4435, it’s almost a waste of money ($65 phone call) if you don’t have a general idea of the amount of the offending substance.

And you don’t have to break your back holding your pet while you stand on your scale. Try to round their weight to the nearest 10 pounds of body weight: 20, 50, 100 pounds, etc. Get the best idea of the most the pet could have eaten: three 16 oz. bags of peanut M&M’s, 4 ounces of dark chocolate, and so on.

Golden Rule #2

What kind of chocolate was it? The darker the chocolate, the more toxic. Baker’s chocolate is scary; white chocolate is almost nontoxic.

If you’re mathematically inclined, you can follow the following table and get a good idea of the level of chocolate toxicity. You have to know how to convert the chocolate into its toxic form.

How Much Chocolate Is Toxic for Dogs?

If your dog ingests an amount CLOSE to 20 mg of toxic ingredient per pound of dog, you need to call the vet.

How much chocolate is toxic for dogs

To illustrate the math, let’s say you have a 20 pound dog. We’ll call her Cookie.

  • Example 1: Cookie (bad dog!) has eaten 3 ounces of dark chocolate. Dark chocolate contains 130 mg/oz of toxin, as shown in the chart above. So, 3 oz X 130mg divided by 20 pounds of dog weight = 19.5. Is this a worrisome amount for Cookie? Yes, it’s very close to 20. YOU SHOULD CALL THE VET — or bring the pet to the emergency hospital. Remember, anything close to 20 is an emergency.
  • Example 2: What if this was  3 ounces of milk chocolate? Let’s do the math: 3 oz X 58 mg divided by 20 pounds of dog weight = 8.7. You are not anywhere close to the toxic “magic number” of 20.

Many of my clients panic when their dog eats a few M&M’s or some chocolate brownies. Neither of these products is solid chocolate, so the amount of chocolate ingested is much less and therefore less toxic. The pet may still get an upset stomach or diarrhea, but you won’t have to worry about bringing them to the emergency hospital.

This Just in…

As I am writing this, an emergency call has come in! Not lying!

“Those rotten ——-! They got under the tree, unwrapped the chocolate-covered cherries and ate 16 of them. Oh my God, what do I do?”

First of all, congratulate yourself on having presents under the tree and wrapped. Second, tell me what your dogs weigh and the total number of ounces in the chocolate-covered cherries box.

Her dogs weighed 60 and 40 pounds, and the box of cherries was 8 ounces. You guys are pros now; you know how much chocolate is toxic for dogs — so does she have to worry?

Not at all. Suppose the smaller dog ate the entire box. That’s 8 ounces of candy, some of which is milk chocolate. Even if it was 8 ounces of pure milk chocolate, not counting the cherries and syrup, we’re not even close to a toxic ingestion. 8 X 58 mg divided by 40 (smaller dog’s weight) is just 11.6. And this would be the worst-case scenario, which assumes little piglet dog didn’t share a single bite with big piglet dog. You can relax, because it’s not close to 20.

A Word About Xylitol

Xylitol, the substance found in sugarless gums, sugarless candy and cropping up in many other products, is extremely toxic to animals. The ASPCA Poison Control goes so far as to say that products containing xylitol should not even be in households with pets.

Christmas can be a very hectic time with lots of stuff all over your house, so don’t give sugarless gum as stocking stuffers or have it lying around. Two pieces of gum containing xylitol can be toxic to a small dog!

Now let’s talk about holiday dangers to cats.

THERE’S MORE… Keep reading here: Page 2

From Around the Web



Pet Health QuizGot what it takes to give your pet a long, healthy life?

Take Pets Adviser's popular 4-minute pet health quiz now!